Surrogacy counselling in Melbourne
Deciding to use a surrogate to have a child, or be a surrogate yourself is a major decision. It can be a psychological and emotional ordeal as much as a physical one for the surrogate mother. In Victoria, those involved in a surrogacy arrangement are required to have counselling.
Issues dealt with in the counselling will include:
- What surrogacy will mean for all people involved, including the surrogate, commission parent or parents, donors and other family and friends
- How much control over the pregnancy the surrogate and commissioning parents will have
- What will happen in the case that there is a genetic abnormality in the baby, or if the baby’s health is at risk
- How the ongoing relationship between the child, the surrogate and commissioning parents will be arranged
- How disputes between people involved will be resolved
Dr Geraldine Lockley is a member of Psychology Melbourne’s team of qualified, registered psychologists who has special expertise in the counselling of surrogate parents and commissioning parents.
For more information or to make an appointment contact us on our Live Chat or phone (03) 9629 1001 or send us an email via our contact form.